Acne may not be considered a life-or-death emergency to the general population, but we understand how serious it can be for the person it affects. The inflammation of this condition isn't silent and hidden like heart disease, but rather it is obvious and evident to the whole world.
We also understand that the causes of acne are various and must be addressed individually: genetics, diet, hormones, stress, etc. As such, we focus and treat all the different factors involved. Some patients may only need standard skincare and topical creams, while others require hormonal regulation with pills. Once severe acne or scarring presents, we may offer Accutane as a long-term solution.
Common treatments that we use:
- Retinoids (such as Retin-A) to unclog the pores
- Cleansers to calm inflammation or gently exfoliate the skin
- Topical antibiotics to kill specific acne-causing bacteria
- Pills or creams to regulate the hormonal imbalances
- Antibiotic pills (rarely) for a rapid improvement in inflamed acne
- Accutane (isotretinoin) pills for a long-term solution in severe cases
- Diet modifications to address the root problem
- Spot treatments for the occasional wayward pimple
- Chemical peels (if needed) to boost treatment results and treat discoloration
- Lightening creams to treat residual discoloration